David C. Willis
407.839.2186 phone 407.835.2086 fax firstname.lastname@example.org
Board Certified by The Florida Bar in Business Litigation, Construction Law and Real Estate Law, David Willis devotes his practice to construction, real estate and commercial matters. Board Certification is the highest level of evaluation by The Florida Bar for competency, experience, ethics, and professionalism. David’s extensive experience as a litigator and trial attorney has provided him with a deeper understanding of the types of issues that lead to litigation, thus, enabling David to more effectively advise his clients in structuring their business dealings.
David is one of approximately 100 Florida attorneys who are certified in three areas, David’s three areas of certification are complimentary, providing him with a solid foundation to assist all of his clients, whether they are seeking counsel for corporate transactions, contract negotiations or litigation.
David represents businesses, their owners and executives, and serves as a valuable resource for his clients. He works with his clients to help them avoid disputes altogether, however, when litigation is unavoidable, he understands the complexities and nuances of agreements to help his clients prevail with less time and expense.
With more than 33 years of experience, David has successfully represented parties involved in construction projects including public or private owners, general contractors, trade contractors, material suppliers, and design professionals. The construction projects have included multi-million dollar commercial buildings, hospitals, schools, high rise condominiums, hotels, and aircraft hangers. He has been involved in all stages from site acquisition, contract negotiation and drafting, contract administration and close out. David guides his clients through disputes involving construction liens, Federal Miller Act bond claims and state law bond claims, defective work claims, delay damages, acceleration claims and extras. The litigation has run the gamut from the simple, representing a single unpaid supplier, to the complex, multi-party, multi-million dollar construction defect, delay and acceleration claims.
A significant part of David’s practice also includes handling a wide variety of business transactions and business litigation in state and federal court, through and including trial and on appeal. David’s significant experience includes breach of contract, business entity/shareholder disputes, business torts, patents, trademarks, and copyright claims, real estate disputes and lien enforcement. David handles all aspects of the litigation through trial, both jury and bench trials, as well as the appeals. David’s extensive background litigating contracts and related business disputes provides him with additional insight when counseling business clients on various contracts, real estate transactions and non-compete agreements.
In his real estate practice David has significant experience assisting clients in the purchase or sale of commercial real estate. He guides clients from negotiating contracts to working with surveyors, environmental experts and title companies, through to closing. David provides invaluable insight to his clients when handling real estate transactions. David is a title insurance agent for Attorneys Title Insurance Fund.
As a litigator, David also handles appellate matters having handled matters before the Eleventh Circuit Court of Appeals as well as the Florida Supreme Court and Florida District Courts of Appeal.
David currently serves on the Florida Bar Board of Legal Specialization & Education. He previously served on The Florida Bar Construction Law Certification Committee from 2010-2016 and has held the vice chair and chair positions. The Committee is responsible for reviewing applications for Board Certification and preparing the certification examination. David also served on The Florida Bar Business Litigation Certification Committee from 2004-2010 including serving as vice chair. David served on the Orlando Regional Advisory Committee for the Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida. David served as a member of the Edgewood City Council from 2002 to 2004 and 2005 to 2011.
- University of Florida, College of Law, J.D., with honors, 1984
- University of Central Florida, B.S., Business Administration, 1981
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers 2009, 2011
- Bauerle v. Brush
- General Accident v. Borg-Warner Acceptance Corporation,
- Hartcourt Cos. v. Hogue,
- In re: Marx,
- Sentinel Communications Co. v. Watts,
Professional & Civic Activities
- The Florida Bar
- Board of Legal Specialization & Education
- Construction Law Certification Committee (2010-2016)
- Vice Chair (2014-2015)
- Chair (2015-2016)
- Business Law Section
- Business Litigation Certification Committee (2004-2010)
- Vice-Chair (2009-2010)
- Trial Lawyers Section
- Real Property, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Orange County Bar Association
- Business Law Committee
- Technology Subcommittee
- American Bar Association
- Construction Industry Section
- Litgation Section
- Science & Technology Section
- American Association for Justice
- Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida , Orlando Regional Advisory Committee
Articles & Presentations
- "Managing Your Risk - A Top Ten List of Ways to Avoid Spending Time With Lawyers," Presented to Associated Builders and Contractors Workforce, March 1, 2017, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Comparison of Consensus DOCS and 2007 AIA Agreements - Associated General Contractors of Greater Florida , Speaker, 2008
- Florida Law for Engineers- American Society Civil Engineers , Speaker, 1998, 2003
- Florida Law for Design Professionals-Lorman Education Services , Speaker, 1997, 1998, 1999
- Notice to Owner – What Is It and What Do I Do With It? – Orlando Regional Healthcare System , Speaker
- Legal Aspects of Dealing with the Year 2000 – Florida Hospital Association , Speaker
- The “Moransais Decision” – A Discussion From the Engineer’s Perspective – American Society Civil Engineers , Speaker
- Florida Construction Contract Law – Centex Homes , Speaker
- Emerging Issues in Florida Indoor Air Quality and Toxic Mold Litigation – National Business Institute , Speaker
- Navigating Your Way Through Business Court Seminar – Orange County Bar Association , Co-Chairman
Ratings and Certifications
- AV-Rated by Martindale-Hubbell
- Board Certified in Real Estate Law
- Board Certified in Construction Law
- Board Certified in Business Litigation
- Edgewood City Council