M. Stephen Smith
305.995.5410 phone 305.371.7580 fax firstname.lastname@example.org
Steve Smith has been a Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney since 1983. He specializes in defending toxic tort, and professional malpractice cases as well as complex claims arising out of commercial and employment disputes. Steve has tried cases in state and federal courts throughout Florida, and has also represented clients in both state and federal appeals.
His toxic tort practice includes the defense of claims asserting exposure to asbestos, silica, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, PCB and pesticides. Since 1994, as a member of the national trial team representing the manufacturer of an asbestos product, Steve has also been involved in trials venued in Louisiana, Texas, Georgia and Virginia.
Steve’s mass tort experience includes the defense of manufacturers of medical devices and toxic substances. He has handled class action litigation for damages, injunction relief, and medical monitoring. Steve has also represented manufacturers of motor vehicles, machinery, surgical tools and other products.
In his professional liability practice, Steve has represented professionals in a variety of fields including legal, accounting, medical/health and engineering. Steve has defended both private and public sector employers in civil rights and discrimination cases. His commercial matters have included breach of contract, negligence, fraud and statutory violations.
- University of Florida, College of Law, J.D., 1975
- Lehigh University, B.A., Economics and Mathematics, cum laude, 1972
- Bastida v. Batchelor
- Florida Power & Light Co. v. Allis Chalmers Corp.
- Begley v. Truly Nolan Exterminating, Inc.
- Miller v. Selden
- Chesterton v. Fisher
- Bankers Trust Realty, Inc. v. Kluger
- Garlock, Inc. v. Harriman
- Rucker v. Garlock, Inc.
- Broderick v. Danek Medical, Inc.
- Casamassina v. U.S. Life Ins. Co. in City of New York
Professional & Civic Activities
- Defense Research Institute
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
Articles & Presentations
- “Asbestos Litigation,” Association of Corporate Counsel , Lecturer
Ratings and Certifications
- Florida Bar Board Certified Civil Trial Attorney
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell