Scott M. Sarason
305.995.5422 phone 786.536.3446 fax firstname.lastname@example.org
Scott Sarason defends clients in state and federal courts in Florida and across the United States. With more than 29 years of litigation experience, Scott represents clients in cases involving product liability, admiralty/maritime claims, commercial litigation, securities claims, premises liability, construction litigation and professional liability. Among his clients are companies in the private sector including multinational corporations and major insurance companies as well as public entities including the State of Florida and various local and state governmental entities. Scott’s litigation talents have been recognized by Florida Trend magazine in 2005-2015 as one of "Florida’s Legal Elite” in the area of civil trial practice. He was chosen as one of Florida's "Super Lawyers" in 2006-2016.
Scott serves as national counsel for a manufacturer of recreational vehicles and has appeared in cases on the company's behalf in Arizona, Mississippi and California. He served as the Southeast Regional Counsel for premises and public liability claims for a national retailer during its Chapter 11 bankruptcy proceedings and has remained as the retailer's exclusive counsel in Florida following the company's emergence from bankruptcy. He has managed class action litigation brought against marine manufacturers, builders of residential properties and auditors in 10b-5 securities litigation.
In his product liability practice, Scott represents the manufacturers, distributors and retailers of a variety of products including recreational vehicles such as personal watercraft, jet boats, other marine vessels used as pleasure crafts and ultra light aircraft. Litigating in state and federal court, Scott cases involve the defense of claims involving significant and catastrophic injury as well as wrongful death. Scott's clients include the manufacturers of engines used in the marine and automotive industries. He also defends commercial trucking companies in cases involving claims of catastrophic loss. Outside of the courtroom, Scott was nominated for and appointed as a member of the Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC). In his maritime/admiralty practice, Scott represents clients in matters including claims of personal injury and wrongful death, limitation of liability, marine insurance and pleasure boats and cargo issues.
Scott's commercial litigation practice involves defending clients against contract related claims and defending professionals in litigation. Among Scott's commercial litigation clients is the manufacturer and distributor of glass used in residential and commercial applications for whom he has successfully litigated several matters. In his professional liability practice Scott defends individuals and firms in a variety of professions.
Within Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell, Scott is administrative partner in the firm’s Miami office. He served for several years as the firm’s managing partner and has been a member of its Executive Committee.
- University of Miami, School of Law, J.D., 1983
- George Washington University, B.A., Public Affairs, 1980
- Daily Business Review "Most Effective Lawyers" 2015, awarded in recognition of achievement in the category of Product Liability.
- Daily Business Review "Most Effective Lawyers" 2011, awarded in recognition of achievement in the category of Product Liability.
- The Best Lawyers in America 2015 Miami Product Liability Litigation-Defendants "Lawyer of the Year"
- The Best Lawyers in America 2012-2019, Personal Injury Litigation-Defendants and Product Liability -Defendants
- Florida's Legal Elite 2005-2014
- Florida's Super Lawyers, Personal Injury Defense: Products Liability, 2006-2018
- South Florida Legal Guide Top Lawyer, Product Liability (Defense), Corporate and Business Litigation 2009-2018
- Morejon vs. Louisville Ladder Inc.
- Lupola v. BRP
- Carmon Sullivan v. BRP U.S.
- Leoncio v. Louisville Ladder
- Allen v. A.M.F., Inc.
- Calabro v. Outboard Maine Corp.
- Coleman v. Cargil Int'l Corp.
- Donzi Marine Corp. v. Jansson
- F.W.F., Inc. v. Detroit Diesel Corp.
- Farber v. Value Rent-A-Car
- Kingston Square Ass'n v. Tuskegee Gardens, Ltd.
- Koziol v. Bombardier-Rotax GmbH, Motorenfabrik
- Lakes of the Meadow Village Homes Condo, et. al. v. Arvida/JMB P
- National Marine Underwriters v. Donzi Marine Corp.
- Read v. Taylor
- Snyder v. Volkswagen of America, Inc.
- Thrasher v. Koehring Co.
- Wilks v. Boston Whaler
Professional & Civic Activities
- American Board of Trial Advocates
- Eleventh Judicial Circuit Professionalism and Civility Committee
- The Florida Bar, 11th Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee, Former Chair
- American Boat and Yacht Council
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Product Liability Advisory Council (PLAC)
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Co-Presenter, "Hot Topics in Evidence 2015", Trial lawyers Section of The Florida Bar Seminar, April 17, 2015
Ratings and Certifications
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell