Rebecca A. Beers
205.721.2817 phone 205.326.6786 fax firstname.lastname@example.org
Rebecca Beers focuses her practice in the areas of securities litigation and commercial litigation. She represents broker-dealers and registered investment advisors in state and federal courts and in FINRA arbitration, in a variety of disputes such as raiding claims, violations of non-competition agreements, clearing broker liability claims, suitability claims, fraud claims, breach of fiduciary duty claims and claims related to trust and trustee liability and relationships.
She also has substantial experience in complex commercial litigation, including class actions, gaming litigation, casualty, and employment matters. In addition, Rebecca has developed a wide-ranging expertise in arbitration law, particularly in substantive and procedural law governing post-arbitration award actions in federal and state courts, as well as the law governing enforcement of arbitration agreements. Rebecca has also successfully mediated multiple controversies of significance, taken and defended depositions, and served as court-appointed counsel for a closely-held company in a shareholder dispute. Prior to entering private practice, Rebecca served as law clerk to Senior United States District Judge William M. Acker, Jr. for the Northern District of Alabama.
Rebecca has also represented numerous small business owners as well as large corporate clients across the state of Alabama in premises liability cases, ranging from small slip-and-fall matters to complex claims stemming from catastrophic injuries. She has deposed plaintiffs and has consistently obtained favorable results for her clients, including full and partial dismissals on the merits.
She received her law degree, cum laude, from the Washington & Lee University School of Law where she served as Managing Events Editor of the Washington & Lee Journal of Civil Rights and Social Justice. Rebecca was also selected as a member of the Virginia Capital Case Clearinghouse, a legal clinic providing research, writing, and strategic support for capital murder defendants and their counsel. Rebecca received her undergraduate degree, summa cum laude, from Birmingham-Southern College where she was a member of the Honor Council and studied abroad at St. John's College, Oxford University.
Rebecca was selected as a member of Class XI of the Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum, was named a "Super Lawyers Rising Star" in Securities Litigation for 2014, 2015, and 2016 and was selected as one of the Birmingham Business Journal’s Rising Stars of the Bar for 2015. Rebecca was also previously named Birmingham-Southern College’s "Outstanding Young Alumni" for 2012 and was selected as one of B-Metro Magazine’s 2013 Rising Stars of the Bar. She was also recently selected as the President-Elect of the Young Lawyers Section of the Birmingham Bar Association.
In addition to her law practice, Rebecca serves on the Edward Lee Norton Board of Advisors for Birmingham-Southern College and is chair of that organization’s Law Committee. She is also the Immediate Past President of the Birmingham-Southern College National Alumni Association and a former member of the Birmingham-Southern College Board of Trustees. She also previously served as Chair of the Birmingham-Southern College Young Alumni Council. She also currently sits on the Young Supporters Board of the Comprehensive Cancer Center at the University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospital. Rebecca was named a Paul Harris Fellow of the Rotaract Club of Birmingham and volunteers with the Junior League of Birmingham and the Birmingham Bar Volunteer Lawyers Program.
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2007
- Birmingham-Southern College, B.A., summa cum laude, 2004
- Birmingham Business Journal 2015 Rising Star of the Bar
- Alabama State Bar Leadership Forum Class XI
- Mid-South Super Lawyers Rising Star in Securities Litigation 2014-2017
- B-Metro Magazine 2013 Rising Stars of the Bar
- Birmingham-Southern College's Outstanding Young Alumni 2012
- Birmingham Bar Association 2011 Future Leaders Forum
Professional & Civic Activities
- Birmingham-Southern College Alumni
- President, National Alumni Association and Chair, Alumni Executive Board, 2014-2016
- Member, Board of Trustees, 2014-2016
- Past President, Young Alumni Council
- Edward L. Norton Board of Advisors, Chair of Law Committee
- Alumni Executive Board
- Alabama State Bar
- Leadership Forum Section, Treasurer
- Pro Bono Celebration Task Force
- Birmingham Bar Foundation Board of Directors
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Section, President-Elect
- Civil Courts Procedures Committee
- Past service on Future Leaders Forum Steering, Civil Courts Procedures, and Grievance Committees
- Birmingham American Inn of Court
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society, Member
Articles & Presentations
- Co-Author, "FINRA Office of Dispute Resolution Party Portal Now Required," April 2017
- Panelist, "Arbitrating Effectively & Developments in Arbitration," 21st Annual Birmingham Bar Association Membership Retreat, March 3, 2017
- Author, "Shifting the Burden: Municipal Workers and Establishing Evident Partiality in Alabama Based upon a Failure to Disclose," The Alabama Lawyer, March 2016, Volume 77, Number 2
- Rotaract Club of Birmingham (2008-2017)
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Young Supporters Board of the UAB Comprehensive Cancer Center