Meredith Jowers Lees
205.721.2815 phone 205.326.6786 fax email@example.com
Meredith Jowers Lees focuses her practice on commercial litigation, with extensive experience in securities and financial litigation. She has represented broker-dealers, including clearing brokers, in state and federal court and in FINRA arbitration in a wide variety of disputes including customer claims, raiding claims, violations of
non-competition agreements, employment disputes, member-to-member claims, fraud claims, suitability claims, churning claims, and trust-related claims.
Meredith's work extends to representing entities in the areas of insurance, corporate governance, securities fraud under state and federal law, RICO, antitrust, bond issuances and bond defaults, gaming, products liability, fraud, corporate law and business torts.
In her extensive representation of insurance companies, she has successfully defended bad faith/fraud claims and other coverage claims involving homeowners, automobile, life and commercial liability policies. In addition, Meredith has experience in premises liability litigation. She has successfully and consistently obtained summary judgment for small business owners, as well as large corporate clients across the state of Alabama in premises liability cases, ranging from small slip and fall matters to catastrophic injuries of death, electric shock and assault.
Through her work on complex matters, Meredith has developed experience with sophisticated electronic discovery and she frequently lectures on emerging issues and best practices for conducting electronic discovery.
She was recognized as a "Rising Star" in Securities Litigation in 2011-2016 by Alabama Super Lawyers. Meredith is a member of the Birmingham Bar Association and the American Bar Association.
- University of Alabama, J.D., magna cum laude, 2001
- University of Alabama, B.A., Public Relations, 1998
- The University of Hull, Kingston-upon-Hull, England, Capstone International Program, 1997
- Named as "Rising Star" by Alabama Super Lawyers, 2011-2016
Professional & Civic Activities
- SIFMA Compliance and Legal Society
- Birmingham Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Panelist, "FINRA Arbitrations: A Comprehensive Guide for 2018 and Beyond," The Knowledge Group Webinar, September 7, 2018
- Co-Author, "Interpleader: Court Holds Plan Benefits Must Be Distributed to Beneficiary and Insured's Estate May Not Assert Claims Against Plan Trustee Regarding Distribution of the Death Benefits," DRI-The Voice of the Defense Bar, "ERISA Report," Volume 13, Issue 2, August 23, 2018
- Vestry member, Episcopal Church of the Ascension
- Executive Committee, University of Alabama Jefferson County Alumni Chapter
- Literacy Council of Alabama
- Junior League of Birmingham
- Chair, Alabama Center for Law and Civic education Teen Court Project