Lori J. Caldwell
407.839.4546 phone 407.841.2133 fax email@example.com
Lori has served as Administrative Partner of the Orlando office and focuses her practice in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith, product liability and employment and labor. She handles trials and appellate matters in both state and federal courts.
Lori’s insurance practice is focused on defending insurance companies in bad faith and coverage litigation. On behalf of her clients, she also prosecutes declaratory judgment actions, tries complex and high exposure defense cases and provides counseling and training on claims handling, bad faith and coverage issues.
In her product liability practice, Lori represents manufacturers and designers of a variety of products including tires, automobiles, appliances and amusement park rides. Her employment work focuses on the defense of employers in cases involving claims of harassment, wrongful termination, retaliation and violation of civil rights. Lori also litigates cases involving employee benefits, non-compete agreements and other contractual disputes in the employment arena.
Lori has been selected as a “Florida Super Lawyer” in the area of Civil Litigation Defense and was selected as "Lawyer of the Year" for insurance law in Orlando by Best Lawyers in America for 2016. She also frequently serves as a faculty member for the National Institute for Trial Advocacy teaching litigation and trial skills and has volunteered her time with Street Law events in the State of Florida.
Lori is a member of the Florida Defense Lawyers Association, Defense Research Institute and the Federal Bar Association. She has served on The Florida Bar Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (1996-1999) and was a member of the Advisory Committee on Local Rules for the Middle District of Florida (1997-2000). She is admitted to practice before the United States Supreme Court, Florida Supreme Court, the United States District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida, and the United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit. From 1978 to 1979, Lori served as a trial attorney for the Office of the General Counsel of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission.
- Duke University, School of Law, J.D., 1978
- University of Florida, B.A., with high honors, 1974
- Best Lawyers 2016 Lawyer of the Year, Insurance Law, Orlando
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2013 - 2018
- Listed in Florida Super Lawyers 2006-2016
Professional & Civic Activities
- Litigation Counsel of America
- The Florida Bar, Ninth Judicial Circuit Grievance Committee (1996-1999)
- Local Rules for the Middle District of Florida, Advisory Committee (1997-2000)
- National Institute for Trial Advocacy, Faculty
- Defense Research Institute
- Florida Defense Lawyers Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Orange County Bar Association
Articles & Presentations
- Co-author, “Intentional Acts Pled as Negligence Claims: How the Judiciary Pierces Through the Negligence Veil,” 15 Trial Advocate Quarterly 2 (Spring 1996) and Insurance Law Review (1997-1998)
- Co-author, "Blanchard v. State Farm: Finally, the Answer as to When a First-Party Bad Faith Claim Accrues for Purposes of Section 624.155, Florida Statutes," 10 Trial Advocate Quarterly 24
- Co-author, "Faced with a Bad Faith Suit? A Reverse Bad Faith Claim May Be An Alternative," Insurance Fraud Alert Vol 2, No. 4
- Multiple presentations and training programs for insurance carriers regarding claims handling, bad faith and coverage issues
Ratings and Certifications
- AV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell