Brett M. Carey
407.839.2172 phone 407.841.2133 fax email@example.com
Brett Carey joined Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell in 2011 after participating in the firm’s Summer Associate Program in 2010. He practices in the areas of insurance coverage and bad faith, product liability and employment law.
In his insurance practice, Brett represents insurers in first- and third-party coverage claims involving homeowners’ policies, umbrella policies, commercial general liability policies, disability policies, and life insurance policies. Brett also defends insurers in bad faith disputes.
In addition to his work in insurance law, Brett represents clients in employment matters (including FLSA claims) and automotive manufacturers in product liability cases.
Brett is a member of the Florida Bar Education Law Committee and is an active participant in Rumberger, Kirk & Caldwell’s pipeline programs, which aim to introduce local students to topics and careers in the legal field. Brett is also a member of the Scholarship Committee and the Great Oaks Village Committee for the Orange County Bar Association’s Young Lawyers Section.
Brett earned his law degree, magna cum laude, from Florida State University College of Law, where he won both the Florida Civil Practice Book Award and Trial Practice Book Award. He was also recognized with an Award of Excellence in Appellate Advocacy for Best Brief in The National Security Law Moot Court Competition. Prior to attending law school, Brett graduated cum laude from the University of Florida with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Marketing.
- Florida State University, College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, 2011
- University of Florida, B.S., Business Marketing, cum laude, 2008
Professional & Civic Activities
- Florida Bar Education Law Committee
- Orange County Bar Association
- Young Lawyers’ Section
- Scholarship Committee Member
- Great Oaks Village Committee Member
- Defense Research Institute
- Insurance Law Committee
Articles & Presentations
- Author, "What's a Coverage Defense? 11th Circuit Addresses Coverage Defenses under the Florida Claims Administration Statute," July 2017
- Author, "Resolving the Multiple Peril Puzzle in First Party Insurance Claims," November 2017