Monica C. Segura
305.358.5577 phone 786.536.3457 fax email@example.com
Monica Segura practices in the areas of construction law, casualty litigation and insurance coverage.
Monica has successfully argued substantive motions, taken and defended numerous depositions, and settled cases through mediation. As part of her practice, she participated extensively in the defense of contractors and developers in state and federal Chinese drywall litigation. In particular, she has assisted in the defense of contractors facing claims that were unique to product liability issues and construction defense matters in the Multidistrict Litigation (MDL) in Louisiana.
Monica has defended general contractors, subcontractors, and developers against multi-million dollar construction defect claims by individual homeowners and homeowners associations. She also defends claims of water intrusion, construction defects and related issues that arise in both residential and commercial developments. Monica's practice also includes the handling of premises liability claims against hotels and other retailers.
Monica served on the Board of Directors of the Cuban American Bar Association and the Board of Governors of the Florida Bar Young Lawyers Division. She was also the Treasurer for the Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, after serving on its Board of Directors for a number of years. She is a member of the American Bar Association, Dade County Bar Association, Cuban American Bar Association, Coral Gables Bar Association, Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), Miami-Dade Chapter, and The International Women’s Leadership Association.
Monica has received a number of distinctions in recognition of her contributions to the community. She is the recipient of the 2013 President's Award which is the highest recognition by the Miami Dade Chapter of FAWL for leadership and service. She also received the Daily Business Review Rising Star 40 Under 40 Award. Monica is registered as a Woman of Outstanding Leadership by The International Women’s Leadership Association.
During law school, Monica served as the President of the Student Bar Association, participated in Board of Trustee meetings, and served on several faculty committees. She also served as a Senator of the Student Bar Association, during which time she drafted constitutional amendments and resolutions for the student government. She was also the Vice Chair for the "No Place for Hate Campaign," which was a joint effort with the Anti-Defamation League to promote tolerance and respect among the different ethnic, racial, and religious groups at the law school. Additionally, Monica served as the Chair of the Hispanic Law Students Association Mentor Program. She also worked with other organizations including H.O.P.E. (Helping Others Through Pro Bono Efforts), Catholic Law Students Association, and the Law School Orientation Committee, to name a few. Due to her dedication and commitment to the community, Monica was inducted into her law school's most prestigious honor society, the Honor Society of Bar and Gavel.
Monica earned her law degree from the University of Miami School of Law and her undergraduate degree in Broadcast Journalism and Criminology from the University of Miami with Magna Cum Laude distinction. While an undergraduate, she was actively involved in UMTV as an on-air personality and writer for the news program NewsVision. She was also a member of Phi Kappa Phi Honor Society, Golden Key International Honor Society, and was nominated for numerous awards, including National Collegiate Scholar.
- University of Miami, School of Law, J.D., Dean's List, 2005
- University of Miami, B.S., Communications, Magna Cum Laude with Honors Thesis, 2002
- Florida Trend Legal Elite "Up & Coming Attorney," 2009
- The Global Directory of Who's Who Online
- Worldwide Who's Who, 2012
- President’s Award, Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, 2013
- Woman of Outstanding Leadership, by The International Women’s Leadership Association, 2013
- Daily Business Review Rising Star 40 Under 40 Award, 2013
- Florida Super Lawyers Rising Star, Construction Litigation, 2009 - 2017
Professional & Civic Activities
- Coral Gables Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Dade County Bar Association
- Cuban American Bar Association, Board of Directors, 2008-2010
- The Florida Association for Women Lawyers, Miami-Dade Chapter, Board of Directors, 2006-2013
- The Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division 2009-2010
Articles & Presentations
- Panelist at Young Lawyers Professionalism Panel by the Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division, August 8, 2013.
- Panelist at “The Secrets of Superstar Associates” Panel presented by the Miami Dade Chapter of the Florida Association for Women Lawyers (FAWL), November 18, 2011.
- Presenter and Organizer of the Continuing Legal Education Course of Practicing with Professionalism Program by the Florida Bar Board of Governors, Young Lawyers Division, August, 2009.